Baked moong dal vada / Baked Moong dal falafel
Who don’t like vada, it can be of any lentils but the oil makes us to think about eating it. Those extra calories are difficult to burn don’t you think so? Why don’t we try to change the way we cook, bake it instead of frying and you won’t believe it still taste good and that’s what we want.
My husband loves moong dal vada(split green moong dal or skinned moong dal) so much but because of the oil we were not making it frequently rather I was making chillas(lentil dosa) of that batter. But one day I tried baked urad dal vada (black gram lentil) for making dahi bhalla and it came out perfect that we can’t even tell that it is not the fried one. After that I tried making moong dal vada like the way I have made urad dal vada. So that we can still enjoy eating vada without being fried.
- 1 cup green moong dal
- ~2 tbsp chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 7-8 Garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 2-3 green chilli (according to taste)
- Salt to taste
- cooking spray/ oil
- cupcake pan / mini cupcake pan/ paniyaram pan (apppam vada pan)
- How to make moong dal vada :
- Soak the moong dal in water for 6-8 hours.
- Drain all the water from moong dal and grind moong dal, ginger garlic, green chilies to form a corse paste.
- Add salt and finely chopped coriander(cilantro).
- Preheat oven 375 *F (~180 degree Celsius) .
- Check all the seasoning here.
- Spray cupcake pan with cooking spray and divide the mixture in equal spoonful portion in cupcake pan.( mini cupcake pan will work perfect if you have it.)
- Bake it ~22 mins at 375*F and then few minutes on broiler ~3 minutes or till the light brown color.
- Insert toothpick and check it's done or not.
- Serve with julienne onion, green chili, green chutney or tamarind chutney( Imli ki chutney). Whatever you have on hand or you can have it with a cup of tea.
- You can add it in pita pockets and make your pita pocket sandwich or wrap or have it just like that it will taste good too.
2. I have baked it for 360* F for ~20 minutes and brush it with some oil or sprayed it
with some cooking spray and then set the temperature 375 * F for 10 minutes and
then 3-4 minutes on broiler(till they are light brown).
3. To make this recipe on stove top (without oven) you can use paniyaram pan (
appam vada pan).
4. You can get ready chutneys (condiments) like cilantro chutney and tamarind chutney in Indian grocery store.
Here are some pictures so that it’s easy for you to understand.
Serve with julienne onion, green chili, Mint and cilantro chutney or tamarind chutney (Imli ki chutney).
You can add it in pita pockets and make your pita pocket sandwich with added chutneys or wrap it into lettuce for low carb version with chutneys or have it just like that it will taste good too. You can find ready chutneys (condiments) like cilantro chutney and tamarind chutney in Indian grocery store.
Thanks for being here and I am waiting for your feedback.
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook for latest updates.